Database Not Accessible

Posted: April 25, 2011 in Development, SQL Server
Tags: , ,

Recently after restoring a database backup which I got from another server I repeatedly encountered an error when logged in using a user who is given permission. But when ‘sa’ account is used I could work with the database without any problem.

The error message was “The database DATABASE NAME is not accessible. (ObjectExplorer)” which was not helpful since it didn’t give any clue to figure out the issue.

image

Later I found that the issue is because the user in the restored database is not properly mapped to the user in the new server and the resolution for this is to run the stored procedure sp_change_users_login to correct the orphaned user.

  • sp_change_users_login ‘update_one’, ‘USER’, ‘LOGIN’ – Links the given user in the current database to the specified login.
  • sp_change_users_login ‘auto_fix’, ‘USER’ – Links the given user in the current database to the login having the same name in the current server.

After running this you will be able to access the restored database without any issue using the mentioned database user.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. yajairo87 says:

    Muchas gracias por haber posteado este tema, justamente tuve el mismo problema y justamente se soluciono gracias este.

    Saludos!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s